Friday, June 18, 2010

Beginnings

Published originally on homeschoolblogger 8/21/2009

Our new school year begins officially on Monday! We are excited to get into this year’s books and begin school in our new home.

erichben

I set up this blog as a journal of our school progress and activities for this year. Erich begins Sonlight Core K and finishes up Horizons Math K this fall. We’ll pick up MUS Beta after that. To transition from lazy summer days to scheduled school days, we started our reading lessons this past week. Reading and phonics don’t come as easy as math does to Erich, so I’m thinking he is going to need a little extra time with that. We are also going to try out ETC online this year, and hopefully both boys will be able to get something out of that. Ben listens in on the lessons when I can entice him, although he will be working on learning his letter sounds and counting games in the meantime.

We’ve joined a homeschool support group (PACE) that meets primarily in Culpeper, and this also includes a once-a-week co-op class that Erich and Ben will enjoy together. Everyone in the group seems very friendly and down to earth. Our co-op class will be using FIAR, which I am very happy about since I’ve never gotten around to using FIAR here at home (although we have FIAR 1 and many of the books used in the curriculum). I am also going to look into joining the Fauquier homeschool group as well. Erich and Ben will continue with swimming at the WARF 2x a week and we’ll look into other activities as we can fit them in.

erichben

No comments:

Post a Comment