This past weekend I attended the state homeschool convention for HEAV (Home Educator’s Association of Virginia) and what a breath of fresh air it was for me. Sitting under the teachings of Mike Farris, Ken Ham, Sonia Shafer, Dianne Craft, Jamie Lash, and Marilyn Boyer and surrounded by 10,000+ other homeschool parents and their children (some of which participated in a high school graduation ceremony Saturday afternoon), God confirmed to me that homeschooling is the right choice for our family. That affirmation comes after this past year of questioning, praying and going back and forth on the pros and cons of trying out public school with Erich. No longer do I feel like the underdog having to defend our decision to homeschool when someone asks “Where do your kids go to school?” and the usual look I get when I tell people we homeschool. I have a renewed confidence in this way of learning, and its perfect fit for our family.
I have lots of new ideas to try for this coming school year, and picked up just the materials I needed (for cheap!) at the used curriculum sale. In the midst of the 10,000 people in attendance, I crossed paths with two of my financial aid students from Virginia Tech, a former co-worker from Regent U., and a family friend who works diligently for ParentalRights.org (all homeschool moms…and one homeschool dad). The highlight of the weekend was catching up with an old friend from Suffolk who homeschools two boys who are a little bit younger than ours. I feel refreshed and renewed in my purpose and direction for teaching our children.
No comments:
Post a Comment